Finding Treasure: Beyond the "This Store Stinks" Mentality

People part with their clothes for many different reasons, but one of them which happens most often is that is simply doesn't fit anymore. It could be funky cool green pants with orange stitching or an elegant Italian jacket made in the 60's or 70's. Vintage, sort of. Utterly exquisite for your purposes, you glance around the Goodwill/St. Vincent De Paul, whatever second hand store you choose to explore and find that absolutely no one is bugging you or even noticing as you paw through potential treasures.

This is one of the great things about these stores. No one says, "may I help you?" It just doesn't happen. Ever. They know you're looking, and they couldn't be more disinterested. To me, there is real freedom in this. These are the moments I find something cool and think "no one will ever have this but me."



This is unfindable at the mall!" Recycle/reuse/re-purpose people like this message, but I do not focus on this aspect even though it is important. For the purposes of Light From the Jar, the focus in on possibilities - for you, right now in this moment, your heart pounding a little at the thought that you might set foot in such an establishment



and rethink who you listen to about what's 'trending', I HATE that; don't you? So false, so arrogant with no regard for individualism and choice. I'll grant it, second hand stores can be a little odd, but in my eyes in a way that delights me. Check this out.




But back to clothes. If you enjoy color and have an instinct for which colors will be happy with each other  or your skin, you are at a distinct advantage in looking your best you. This kind of person sets out clothes for themselves luxuriantly each night and likes taking some risks not seen in mainstream blah.


Or, you may say "my whole closet is full of black, and I keep buying  more black and pairing the same things together, not wanting to think about it". In that case, it really is a happy surprise that you're even reading this!


Either way, dear reader, (remember C.S Lewis?)



it's possible for you to enjoy the treasure hunt by walking those white tiled aisles deliberately but in a relaxed way, without rushing, run your eyes and hands over the material to see what you can find out about color and texture, what your eye lands on.


You can always wash your hands and any purchases later. Some of you were already stuck there, so it had to be said. Just try to suspend your judgement and see if you don't end up with your favorite jeans for $4. It happens all the time! Or in this case a feminine romper with a floral print I love for $14.99 at St. Vincent de Paul.

Good treasure hunt questions to ask are:
  • What is this material? Would I like how it feels on my skin? Is it special?
  • Could I layer this over or under something I already have for a whole new idea?
  • How does the color look by by face; does the color call out to me and add to what I have now?

Sometimes, I see something and with quick intake of breath hurry over hoping the thing is as cool as it seemed from farther away. This happened yesterday.



Recently a colleague at work said, "you look like you have a professional dresser, but IT'S YOU. Look at what I found on a recent shopping trip; this was a dress that called out to me. I think I'll wear it for my Christmas parties this year, and no one will have anything like it.


My replying thought to my friend Kristena is that I feel happy and comfortable with my own intentional decisions rather than copying something from marketing or mass marketing store display.  It's like the difference between "I'm loved and I know it" and "please love me and see how I'm following these made up rules".



WARNING: CAMPFIRE HONESTY JUST AHEAD



Rather than mindlessly acquiesce to over the belly button jean shorts so short someone is playing a trick on us and seeing it everywhere in flocks and feeling a dad version of "wow, not flattering" I want freedom.

 

Freedom to call "meh" on some of these ridiculous trends, which think about it, we really don't know who had the authority to declare them. In ancient cultures, bare buttocks where part of humiliating a captured enemy. Some of the flock have been captured. Why not say "nah, not giving that to strangers" as you wear a captivating ensemble noticed and appreciated by many?  

Here is a modeling model putting the shorts out there. 



She works out extensively, lots of lunges and squats and deadlifts and calf raises and push ups and core work...but does she represent you and something you want to follow? To put it plainly, to wear trends constantly is to prove yourself a follower [shudder].


Another message for such a time as this.

Comments